Wednesday 14 September 2011

Check Your Chicken Bones ( On Physical Pain)

Today I had a real insight to the condition of the mind towards pain, turns out that pain is just a feeling, but what is it that defines whether that feeling is "pain" or "pig tails" (Pig tails doesn't make much sense does it?) ?

I was having lunch and as I normally do I just gulp the food down, if I'm concentrating on something else sometimes I forget to chew, and that was the case today.

A thin broken chicken bone got stuck 3/4 way down my throat, you could imagine the annoying pain that would create.

The thing is I didn't know what to do, whether to keep swallowing like a drain pipe or try throwing up, the bone was stuck and the uncomfortable, blood spitting, dilemma caused alot of anxiety and distress.

I decided to go to the nearest hospital. I came into the doctor's room where he pulled my tongue out and stuck a mirror down my throat to check where the bone is.

"There's no bone" he said, "It's gone down".

That really got me confused, It really felt as though something was blocking the passageway in my throat, or was that just an illusion?

Here's what happened in reality:
There were feelings coming out of the throat, signals sent to the brain indicating that there is something in the throat that needs to be taken care of, the parts of the brian responsible for analysis went frantic, the brain tried to analyse the signals into something "understandable" or "me related" and translated the signals in terms "there's a peice of bone in my throat". The brain believes it's own false analysis and starts panicking causing symptoms of anxiety and tension in the body.

But after a while the bone had passed the throat, why was it then that I was so convinced that the bone was still there?

Because the story was taken to be true without checking, once that happens the belief is assumed to be right until something else proves it wrong, I just wanted an excuse for the pain, a "reason"

Once the doctor pointed out that there is no bone, and that it was swallowed down a while ago, it just showed how much I was just holding onto that image, reinforcing the pain, as though I wanted it to happen, as if the image was true.

But the image was never true, it's just something that turns normal and natural bodily signals sent to the brain into "me" and "my pain", the image contributes to the story of "me".

I'm not saying that the image wasn't there in reality, it was, and at the time it felt really true, but it was just a feeling, when reality strikes again, everything comes back to place, and you see what it really was, just an Image.

That's what pain is actually, the suffering that comes from pain is all made up, it's a story attached to a feeling, next time you get a serious injury or some illness, instead of automatically being immersed in the story of "your suffering" look at what's happening.

And just a word of advice....

Check your chicken bones.

Cheers.
 

Spread this:
submit to reddit Share

2 comments:

Menno said...

Hi, I came upon your post by RT forum browsing. You are talking about insight to the condition of mind. Yes but pain has some 'hidden features' which are open to be discovered in the event if pain and body mental suffering are happening.
http://nowthyself.wordpress.com/2011/07/18/body-bubbles-2/
Cause the latest months I had the 'privilege' to be confronted with heavy pains. I can tell you that suffering then is not a thought or so or any random mental projection, the TOTAL of suffering heavy pain is liberated or not still painful haha.
I.m.h.o. is suffering not a thought or so or any random mental projection, But one difference is... there is no space to deal with it anymore to deny it or to outthink it mentally so if pain of the body/mind is happening on let's say scale 10 nr. 10 mind you there is no one to think about this it is just one explosion expressed as pain in you as unknown void space whatever. But liberated persons are part of our imagination still. Dry water. And what we think we are and are not cannot be outplayed during these experiences that is so funny.

Imaginary said...

Hey Menno.

I am not saying that pain and suffering are mental projections in and of themselves.

No, I am rather stating that the suffering exists due to the blind belief in those mental projections.

The pain exists, the brain projects thoughts that say for example "[I] am in pain" or "[I] can't take the pain anymore" and that's quiet natural.

The problem is when you believe that there is an actual you suffering, when you believe the thoughts, believing that the mental projections are actually true is what causes that suffering that adds to the pain.

So instead of it being just pain (which is the reality of it) it has turned into "my pain" and "me being in pain" and that's the illusion.

So yeah this is it in a nutshell
- Pain = natural, totally not personal.
- Suffering = the belief that the pain actually belongs to a "you" in real life, which is false.

So check for yourself, is there an actual you in pain? or is it just pain?

Powered by Blogger.

Followers